The Adopt-A-Median (AAM) program is designed to encourage community groups to adopt designated areas of the public right-of-way with the purpose of transforming and enhancing public spaces. To participate in the AAM program, please download, review and fill out the application and maintenance agreement listed to the right.
This process allows for projects to be completed with no fee permit. There is an average 30-day approval process for programs using standardized plans already vetted by Departments. If proposed plans are non-standard, approval can take approximately 2-3 months. There is a Fast Track option for proposals using standardized plans already vetted by City Departments. If proposed plans are non-standard, approval may take 3 months or more.
The Office of Community Beautification acts a ‘conduit’ between the constituent group and the various City entities that are responsible for reviewing and approving a proposed project. OCB staff serve as the main point of contact for the City in regards to project status, and its navigation through the process of approval and permitting. The AAM Program is a “customer-friendly” method of having a project reviewed, approved and permitted, as expeditiously as possible.
Permanent Art Displays & Other Lighting Projects:
- Bureau of Street Lighting (BSL) Brochure
- Bureau of Street Lighting Policy
- Examples of Medallion Projects
- Procedure for Decorative Plaques
- Guidelines – Landscape_Street Tree_Traffic
- Streetscape-landscape development guidelines
- Clearance requirements for Street Furniture
Samples for Planting:
Adopt-A-Median Fast Track:
The AAM Fast Track provides an accelerated process for specific types of median beautification projects, using pre-approved components. The review, approval, and permit process typically takes about 66% less time when using the Fast Track Program. Please contact Gerry Valido, the Adopt-a-Median Program Manager for more information.
- Proposed Council Support Letter
- Board Report Street Median Design Fast Track Policy
- Parkways Guidelines
- Street Median Pre-approved Elements and Descriptions
- AAM FAST TRACK – Oblong median option
- AAM FAST TRACK – Oblong median option 2
- AAM FAST TRACK – Triangular median option
- AAM FAST TRACK – Turn lane median option
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who can apply?
How long does it take?
There is an average 30-day approval process for programs using standardized plans already vetted by Departments. If proposed plans are non-standard, approval can take approximately 2-3 months.